Dear Max and Rebecca
A few years ago I came across a great blog post idea from Nafisa – every year she does a summary of her year, using a self-questionnaire. I have borrowed the idea for the last few years (thanks Nafisa!), and I’m doing the same this year (PS: this questionnaire has become a thing, so if you see it around, it comes from Nafisa – a lot of people don’t know of or credit the origin).
As always, I like comparing between the years, and seeing what’s changed, what ruts I’m still in, and how things have progressed.
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
Er, drink gin neat, without tonic water? This year wasn’t really a year of firsts, and I’m okay with that this year.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I generally don’t make them, but I know I set out at the beginning of the year to place more priority on friendships, which I didn’t really succeed at. My plans for 2018 include losing more weight, and hopefully qualifying for Two Oceans and Comrades (and if not – it’s okay).
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
In St Francis, with family. And Inverroche gin.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my granny Elza.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. But I visited Paris hundreds of times in my head and heart.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
A slim body! And the superpower of not taking work home, ie not taking the stresses of work home.
7. What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory?
22 December – my last day of work!!!!!!!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Managing several challenges in tact
9. What was your biggest failure?
Taking the stresses of work home.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, and yay!!!!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A subscription to Google Music, new running shoes, RayBan sunglasses. And the Charlotte Tilbury Look in a Palette.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Bond and bills
13. What song will always remind you of 2017?
Sign of the Time by Harry Styles
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Be a better friend, and nurture friendships
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat many scones at work, and taken my work anger and irritation out at home.
16. What were your favourite TV shows?
Grey’s Anatomy and my best of the best – This is Us.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
I read so many, but nothing really stands out.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
I don’t remember, which might imply that no movies stood out.
21. What did you do on your birthday
I had makeup done at MAC, had lunch with my dad and Andrew, then a drink at Hyde Park later, and takeaways at home for supper.
22. What kept you sane?
Running, blogging, reading, Andrew, you two.
23. Who did you miss?
For a few months, I missed the old version of me.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
My immediate work colleagues
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017
Sometimes you just need to play the game, even if it’s against what you would normally do.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.