Dear Max and Rebecca
I wrote recently that I’ve become a vegetarian (I promise I’m a non-sanctimonious vegetarian, and it’s neither part of my bio nor what defines me, nor am I ranting on my blogs about why eating meat is bad).
I know vegetarianism needn’t always be coupled with using cruelty-free products, but lately, it’s been bothering me that I still use products tested on animals. I used to see it a “necessary evil” for all the beautiful products, but now, it’s just making me feel guilty and uncomfortable.
I have started unfollowing people on Facebook who totally within their right post pictures of animals being tested. If I come across anything about animal testing or petitions to stop it, I immediately shut it. It’s making me more and more uneasy, and I’m asking myself a lot of questions:
- Am I ready to give up MAC? (it is probably my favourite brand ever, aside from the testing on animals)
- If a product is “only” tested in China, as is the case of MAC, does this still make a no-go for me? (I think it might, since the brand is choosing to sell in China, and thus accept testing there)
- If I receive a product that’s been tested, should I keep it, use it, or even feature it (surely writing about it is giving it publicity, and therefore supporting it?). And if I’m invited to an event for a brand that tests, should I go and give coverage?
- If I’ve already bought a product, and then only decide to use cruelty-free products, will I still feel comfortable using the existing products?
- Am I comfortable enough to turn down sponsorship if it’s for a tested product? (I have bills to pay, but at the same time I know there are animals in cages)
- Will me not using tested products help the animals? Is this even important? I mean, I became a vegetarian not to save the world, but because I was uncomfortable with eating meat
- Is it okay to pick and choose, ie use MAC or perfume, but nothing else? Does this make me a hypocrite, and will I even feel comfortable doing it this way?
I’ll figure it out, and do what makes sense for me, and makes me feel okay.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.