Dear Max and Rebecca
A few years ago I came across a great blog post idea from Nafisa – every year she does a summary of her year, using a self-questionnaire. I have borrowed the idea for the last few years (thanks Nafisa!), and I’m doing the same this year.
As always, I like comparing between the years, and seeing what’s changed, what ruts I’m still in, and how things have progressed.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I rode a bike as an adult, and even bought a bike. When I became pregnant I stopped riding, and I haven’t found a great opportunity to get back on (read: I’m a little scared).
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember with clarity what they were, but I think they were probably the same as every other year. So the answer is no, but I’ll keep on trying.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
In St Francis, with family.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None. But I visited Paris a thousand times in my head and heart.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Thinner thighs, and more self control when it comes to eating fudge and caramels. (see the connection?) I’d also love to have a fulltime job again, something I lacked for the half of 2016.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
15 September, of course – Rebecca’s birth date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not a thing comes to mind.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting work erode my self esteem
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from some colds, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Aside from my MAC purchases, I’d say the anti heartburn medication my doctor prescribed. I’m not sure I would have had a comfortable day in the last trimester without it.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Bond and bills
13. What song will always remind you of 2016?
West Coast by Coconut Records
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Be a better friend, and nurture friendships
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
16. What were your favourite TV shows?
The Americans, Grey’s Anatomy and my best of the best – This is Us.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
I read so many, but nothing really stands out.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
I don’t remember, which might imply that no movies stood out.
21. What did you do on your birthday
We were in Clarens – I ran 18km, ate French toast and slept. I was still battling with first-trimester nausea so I mostly felt awful the whole day.
22. What kept you sane?
Running, blogging, reading, shopping, you two
23. Who did you miss?
My siblings, who live in Cape Town. I also miss my mom, from the days when she was more functional and aware. I think having a baby made me miss her more than usual.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
Rebecca, of course!
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016
To trust the timing of life.
Images via Natalie of Creationography
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.